- 1/2 butternut squash; peeled, seeded and diced small
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cod fillets or fish of choice (3 ounces each)
- 1/2 Pound pancetta, diced small
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1/2 Teaspoon garlic, chopped fine
- 1/2 Pound beet greens*, stems removed and cleaned
- 3/4 Cup California raisins
- 1/2 Cup chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
Place butternut squash in pot. Cover with water and season with salt. Simmer until just tender. Strain and turn into ice bath to cool. Drain and set aside.
Heat oil in large heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat and brown fish well on both sides. Remove from pan and arrange on a wire rack placed on a sheet pan. Bake in 400°F oven for approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
While fish is baking, in same heavy-bottomed pan, add pancetta and sauté until crispy; remove. Add shallots and garlic; cook until translucent. Add greens and raisins; cook until wilted. Add butternut squash and chicken broth; cook until reduced by half. Stir in sherry vinegar and butter. Season to taste.
Portion ragu into center of 6 individual bowls; top with fish and garnish with crispy pancetta.
Note: Swiss chard, arugula or spinach may be substituted for beet greens.