CALIFORNIA RAISINS ARE A NUTRITIONAL POWERHOUSE
California Raisins are made for healthy eating and snacking. Dried in the warm California sunshine, they come by their sweetness naturally. This little fruit has many benefits that help to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Fat and cholesterol free
- Naturally low in sodium
- Naturally sweet, no added sugar
- A source of potassium (6% DV)
- A source of fiber – (7% DV)
- A source of concentrated nutrients
The ingredient list says it all: Raisins.
Did you read the Nutrition Facts
1 label? California Raisins are a naturally sweet, dried fruit with no added sugar! An underlying premise of the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines is that nutritional needs should be met primarily with nutrient-dense foods and beverages. And, one of six food groups that make up a healthy dietary pattern recommended by the Dietary Guidelines includes fruits, especially whole fruit. Unfortunately, the average person eats far less fruit than is recommended by the Dietary Guidelines2.
One quarter cup serving of California Raisins is equal to one serving of fruit. And, California Raisins are economical, ready to eat, never bruise and easy to take with you – no washing, peeling or chopping required.
Why is it important to eat fruit? MyPlate.gov states:
- “Fruits are sources of many essential nutrients that many people do not get enough of, especially potassium, dietary fiber, vitamin C and folate.”
- “Eating fruit provides health benefits — people who eat more fruits and vegetables as part of an overall healthy diet are likely to have a reduced risk of some chronic diseases. Fruits provide nutrients vital for health and maintenance of your body.”
- “Pack healthy snacks such as plain popcorn, dried fruit, whole grain crackers, or nuts into small containers or baggies. They make great ‘grab n go’ snacks on busy days.”
The 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans are jointly issued and updated every 5 years by the Department of Agriculture (USDA) and the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). They provide authoritative advice for Americans ages 2 and older about consuming fewer calories, making informed food choices, and being physically active to attain and maintain a healthy weight, reduce risk of chronic disease, and promote overall health. The Dietary Guidelines also calls on every American to:
- Follow a healthy dietary pattern at every life stage. Find the right pattern for you by getting your MyPlate Plan.
- Customize and enjoy nutrient-dense food and beverage choices to reflect personal preferences, cultural traditions, and budgetary considerations.
- Focus on meeting food group needs with nutrient-dense foods and beverages, and stay within calorie limits.
- Limit foods and beverages higher in added sugars, saturated fat, and sodium, and limit alcoholic beverages.
Nutrition professionals such as Liz Ward of Boston are also singing the praise of California Raisins. U.S.A. Today and Men’s Health magazine asked Ms. Ward this question, ‘what’s the single best fruit you can eat’? Ms. Ward responded, “Raisins. They deliver fiber, potassium and antioxidants. They are also portable, available year round, are good for boosting energy and they may help with weight control.” – Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D., Nutritionist/Author.
Curious about the research that shows why California Raisins are good for you? Click here to learn more.
1Nutrition Facts Source: https://fdc.nal.usda.gov/fdc-app.html#/food-details/168165/nutrients
2USDA ERS – Chart Detail