- 4 Slices day-old whole wheat bread
- 3 Tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 Cup light brown sugar
- 11/2 Teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 Teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Teaspoons vanilla
- 11/2 Cups California raisins
- 6 Tablespoons apple juice concentrate
Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide bread slices into 1/2-inch cubes and measure 3/4 cup into bottom of buttered 9-inch square glass pan. Toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and spread evenly.
Peel and slice apples to measure 3 cups; turn into mixing bowl and mix together with sugar, spices, lemon zest and juice, vanilla, raisins and concentrate. Spread evenly over bread cubes in pan and then, spread remaining bread cubes mixed with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter on top. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400°F; uncover pan and bake 20 minutes longer. Cut 3 X 3 into 9 squares to serve warm, topped with non-fat vanilla yogurt, if desired.