1. Cook ground beef and onions together until ground beef is no longer pink; drain.
2. Process raisins with 1 cup tomato sauce until smooth paste is formed.
3. Combine meat mixture, raisin paste, remaining tomato sauce, vinegar and seasonings; stir to blend.
4. Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes or until heated through.
5. Spread evenly in ungreased pan. Do not pack down.
6. Combine topping ingredients; mix well.
7. Pour gently over meat mixture to avoid splashing.
8. With a spatula, slowly cut through the meat across the pan a few times; do not stir the topping into the meat mixture.
9. Bake in a conventional oven at 350ºF for 55 to 65 minutes or until topping is set.
10. Remove from oven and sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over the top.
11. Bake 4 to 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
12. Cut into 10 rows along the long side of the pan and 8 rows along the short side.
13. Serve with pizza or spaghetti sauce.
1. Meat filling may be made and set into pans the day before; reheat to 165ºF before adding the topping; complete as directed above.
2. Use a blend of American and Mozzarella cheeses.
- 13 Pounds ground beef
- 8 Cups chopped onions
- 10 Cups California raisins
- 4 Cups Tomato Sauce
- 1/3 Cup vinegar
- 1/2 Cup dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 Cup dried basil leaves
- 3 Tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 Teaspoons black pepper
- 9 Cups milk
- 6 Cups biscuit mix
- 4 Cups liquid eggs
- 8 Cups shredded cheese
- Spaghetti sauce or pizza sauce (optional)