- 5 Cups cabbage, chopped or shredded
- 2 stalks celery (and tops), diced
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green apple, diced
- 1/2 Cup California golden raisins
- 3 limes, juiced
- 3 Tablespoons rice vinegar (to taste)
- 1/3 Cup olive oil (to taste)
- 2 large cloves garlic, mashed
- Tobasco (to taste)
- soy sauce (to taste)
- sugar (to taste)
- paprika (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- sea salt (to taste)
- pepper (to taste)
Mix the lime juice, rice vinegar, garlic, hot sauce, soy sauce, sugar, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a blender until smooth; adjust seasonings, add more olive oil or lime juice to taste. Toss the dessing with the cabbage and all remining ingredients in a bowl, cover and refrigerate until serving.
May be used as a salad, a side dish served with sliced beef, chicken, lamb or turkey, or as a topping for tacos, burritos and quesadillas.
Recipe by Christine Vartanian Datian, former Fresnan and CSUF graduate.