1. Process raisins with applesauce until a paste is formed.
2. Combine raisin paste and remaining Cocoa Swirl ingredients; mix well. Set aside.
3. In mixer bowl, combine ingredients; mix well. Do not overmix; a few small lumps in the batter are acceptable.
4. Pour batter into greased pan.
5. Drop swirl mixture onto batter by spoonfuls. Cut through the batter with a spatula.
6. Bake in a conventional oven at 350ºF for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool.
7. Drizzle with powdered sugar icing.
8. Cut into 10 rows along the long side of the pan and 8 rows along the short side.
Notes: If using a 5-lb. box of biscuit mix, reduce milk by 1/3 cup. When using the toothpick method to determine doneness, be careful to insert it only into the cake, not the swirl. The swirl will remain moist.
- 8 Cups California raisins
- 1/4 Cup unsweetened applesauce
- 22/3 Cups cocoa
- 2 Cups margarine, softened
- 2 Cups milk
- 16 Cups Biscuit Mix
- 51/3 Cups milk
- 2 Cups sugar
- 12/3 Cups pasteurized eggs
- 3 Tablespoons vanilla
- Powdered Sugar Icing (optional)