- 3 red onions, cut in matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- 2 Cups rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 3 serrano chiles, seeded and minced
- 3/4 Cup (12 ounces) fresh blood orange juice
- 1/4 Cup (2 ounces) fresh lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons habanero sauce, Tabasco® brand
- 1/2 Cup piloncillo or brown sugar
- 2 Cups California golden raisins
- Sea salt, to taste
In large saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Arrange onion pieces in colander and pour boiling water over. Drain thoroughly. Combine vinegar and sugar in a 2-quart nonreactive bowl and mix thoroughly. Stir in chiles. Add onion; mix well and allow to stand for 30 minutes.
In another mixing bowl, combine orange juice, lime juice and habanero sauce. Add sugar and mix until sugar is all dissolved. Stir in raisins and allow to plump for 10 minutes. Then, add onion mixture; stir to combine and season with salt to taste. Serve with grilled and roasted meats.