Coarsely chop leeks and soak in cold water, about 5 minutes, to loosen dirt and sand. Lift out of water; drain thoroughly. Spray bottom of large kettle with cooking spray; place over low heat. Add leeks and garlic; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are wilted, about 12 minutes. Add potatoes, carrots and broth. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer until vegetables are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in seasonings and milk and purée in blender until smooth. Chill.
When ready to serve, place potato sticks, carrots sticks and raisins in a small pot of boiling water. Simmer until just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain; transfer to ice-water bath until cool. Drain and stir into puréed soup. Divide soup among 6 bowls, and sprinkle each with snipped chives.
- 3 large leeks, white and light green parts only
- Cooking spray
- 1 medium clove garlic, minced
- 2 small potatoes; peeled and cut in chunks
- 3 carrots; peeled and sliced
- 21/2 Cups chicken broth (homemade or canned)
- 11/2 Teaspoons salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Cups whole milk
- 2 small potatoes, cut in matchstick-size pieces
- 2 carrots, cut in matchstick-size pieces
- 1 Cup California golden raisins
- 3 Tablespoons snipped fresh chives