- 11/2 Cups water
- 1/2 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 3 Tablespoons dry milk powder
- 1 Cup Japanese rice (glutinous rice)
- 11/2 Cups California raisins
- 1 Cup finely chopped nuts or toasted sesame seeds
Measure water into saucepan; add vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, salt and powdered milk. Stir to dissolve milk powder. Add rice; heat and cook over low heat for 20 minutes, until liquid is completely absorbed and rice is done. Fold in raisins. Cool completely.
With wet hands, shape 1 tablespoons of rice into a ball. Roll in chopped nuts or toasted sesame seeds. Repeat for remainder. Chill. Serve cold or at room temperature.