- 1/4 Cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3/4 Cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 small fennel bulbs
- 11/2 Cups fine bread crumbs
- 11/2 Cups finely ground toasted hazelnuts
- 2 logs goat cheese (8 ounces each)
- 8 Cups arugula
- 1 Cup California raisins, soaked in warm water and drained
Whisk orange and lemon juices together with olive oil; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cut fennel bulbs in half and slice as thin as possible; set aside in bowl of ice water to crisp.
Mix bread crumbs with toasted hazelnuts in shallow bowl. Brush goat cheese rounds lightly with olive oil and dredge in bread crumb-hazelnut mixture. Arrange on lightly oiled baking sheet and bake at 350°F for 6 to 8 minutes, until golden.
Meanwhile, drain fennel and mix with arugula and raisins in a non-reactive bowl, and toss with just enough vinaigrette to coat. Season to taste. Arrange small handful on each of 8 individual salad plates and arrange a goat cheese round on top. Drizzle with vinaigrette and serve immediately.