In a 6 to 8-inch frying pan over medium heat, stir nuts often until golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour onto a towel and let stand until cool enough to handle. Rub in towel to remove any loose skins. Lift nuts from towel and reserve; discard skins. Coarsely chop nuts.
In a large bowl, whisk vinegar, oil and mustard to blend. Cut pears lengthwise into quarters and core; cut quarters lengthwise into thin slices. Drop slices into bowl and mix to coat with dressing. Add spinach and mix gently. Sprinkle with cheese, raisins and toasted nuts; mix gently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3/4 Cup hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts or pistachios
- 1/3 Cup sherry or cider vinegar
- 1/3 Cup nut or salad oil
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3 firm ripe pears
- 1 Package (10 ounces) prewashed baby spinach leaves
- 1 Cup crumbled Stilton or Gorgonzola cheese
- 11/4 Cups California raisins, plumped
- Salt and pepper