Raisin Chardonnay Brioche
What inspired me with California golden raisins is that they have a light vanilla flavor along with a hint of butter. I decided to incorporate Chardonnay grape skin flour and Late Harvest Chardonnay to balance out the raisins.
|US/oz||Metric g/ml||Bakers %|
|Butter (Butter Book)||32||908||40|
|Chardonnay Almond Cream-Almond Meal||10.6||300||13|
|All Purpose Flour||9.2||260||11.5|
|Butter (room temp)||10.6||300||13|
|Chardonnay Pastry Cream-Milk||21||600||26|
|California Golden Raisins (poached)||42||1200||53|
|Late Harvest Chardonnay||10.6||300||13|
|Candied Almonds - Slivered Almonds||14||400||18|
|Mixing Time||8 minutes|
|Mixing Speed||1st speed and 2nd speed|
|Dough Temp||75oF -77oF|
|Fermentation Time||Let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes, then place in cooler overnight|
|Folding if needed||Yes. Laminate as Croissant method|
|Resting Time||Yes, in between folds, 15 minutes for each fold|
|Proofing Time||15 minutes|
|Type of Oven||Convection|
|Steam if needed||No|
|Finished Product Weight||110 grams|
|Laminated dough procedureIn a medium size mixer, place milk and eggs in bowl. Meanwhile, in a medium size bowl, combine the flours, sugar, salt, and yeast, mix well. Pour dry ingredients on top of the milk-egg mixture and mix on lowspeed for 2 minutes. Once the dough has come together, increase the speed one more notch and mix for 6 minutes. Place dough in a greased container and let rest for 20 minutes at room temperature.Press dough down to release any gases and place in refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. At this point soften the butter by using a rolling pin or using a mixer. Shape into rectangle between parchmentpaper and place in refrigerator until needed. Pull the dough out of the refrigerator and roll out by using a rolling pin or a dough sheeter to ½ inch thickness, shape into a rectangle form. Pull out butter and let itsoften. Ideally, the dough and butter should have the same flexibility. Place the butter on 2/3 of the dough. With the other 1/3 of dough place over the butter, then place the other side of the dough toresemble an S-shape structure. T he dough will be laminated 3 times with 15 minutes of rest time between each fold in refrigerator. Once the dough is ready for the final sheeting, roll out to a 1/4 inch (6mm) thickness. Cut the dough in half and place one half in the refrigerator as this will be for the bottom part. With the other one, dock the entire dough giving it a dotted structure appearance and place in refrigerator to firm for about ten minutes. Cut both pieces in 4″ rounds. Place bottom rounds on sheet pan. Place dough in refrigerator until ready to assemble.Procedure for the fillings, glaze, and toppings:1. Chardonnay raisins: Place raisins in small pot with water and late harvest chardonnay and bring to a boil, set aside to rehydrate, about two hours.
2. Chardonnay almond cream: Cream butter until creamy. Next add sugar and eggs and mix well. Then add the dry ingredients, mix well. Reserve in refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Chardonnay pastry cream: Place all ingredients in a medium pot and cook on medium heat until it thickens. Place pastry cream in mixer along with a paddle attachment. Mix until cool. Reserve in refrigerator until needed.
4. Candied almonds: Place all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well until the almonds are evenly coated. Place almonds on a full size sheet pan with a silpat. Bake at 325oF for 4 minutes. Pull out and give a stir to give an even toast. Bake for another 2 minutes. Let cool completely and place in a plastic container.
5. Glaze: Place all ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk to a smooth texture. Leave at room temperature until ready to glaze the final product.
1. Place bottom dough rounds on a full size sheet.
2. Pipe 2 tablespoons of almond cream on each round.
3. Pipe 1 tablespoon of pastry cream on top of the almond cream.
4. Place 3 tablespoons of poached raisins on the pastry cream.
5. Egg wash the edge of each round.
6. Place the docked dough on top, press to seal the doughs together.
7. Place product in freezer for 5 minutes.
8. Pull product out of freezer and egg wash the entire top. Let rest for 15 minutes before going in the oven.
9. Bake at 350oF for 8 minutes and rotate for another 6 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes then glaze the top. Sprinkle with candied almond.
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.