Raisin-Apple and Wheat Bake
An old-fashioned dessert gone healthy.
- Serving Size: 1/9 of wheat bake
- 4 slice day-old whole wheat bread
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted and divided
- 4 Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups California raisins
- 6 tablespoons apple juice concentrate
Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide bread slices into 1/2-inch cubes and measure 3/4 cup into bottom of buttered 9-inch square glass pan. Toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and spread evenly.
Peel and slice apples to measure 3 cups; turn into mixing bowl and mix together with sugar, spices, lemon zest and juice, vanilla, raisins and concentrate. Spread evenly over bread cubes in pan and then, spread remaining bread cubes mixed with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons melted butter on top. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350°F for 35 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 400°F; uncover pan and bake 20 minutes longer. Cut 3 X 3 into 9 squares to serve warm, topped with non-fat vanilla yogurt, if desired.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 200 (19% from fat); Total Fat 4.5g (sat 2.5g, mono 1g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 10mg; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 40g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 30g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 75mg; Calcium 38mg; Potassium 322mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.