|Poolish||Final Dough||Total Formula|
|Metric/g||Bakers %||Metric/g||Metric/g||Bakers %|
|Bread Bakers Flour||0.2700||100.00||0.630||0.900||100.00|
- 12 hours before final mixing, mix the sponge ingredients until a cohesive dough is formed. Move to a covered container and let rise for 12 hours at 75˚F.
- Also 12 hours in advance, macerate raisins in water** just to cover. Drain well prior to mixing (ideal macerated weight is reflected in the formula).
- Place flour, water, milk, eggs, sugar, applesauce, salt, yeast, malt, and deactive yeast in the bowl of a planetary mixer fitted with a dough hook. mix 3 minutes on low.
- Break biga into small pieces and mix on 2nd speed for 3 minutes.
- Flake in butter and mix on medium speed until fully absorbed, 2 minutes.
- Let dough ferment at room temperature for 1 hour in a covered container.
- Divide into 1600g pieces, flatten to expel excess gas, and shape into rectangles.
- Place dough on a floured board, cover and freeze for one hour.
- Measure 400g butter for roll-in, pound into a block that covers the width and half the length of the dough.
- Place butter block in center of dough, and fold both sides of dough to meet in the center.
- Roll out on a sheeter and give 2 single folds, aligning all edges and corners.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, roll out one final single fold on the sheeter.
- Return dough to dusted board, cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Sheet each 2kg of dough until it is 12 inches wide and 44 inches long.
- Egg wash and dust heavily with cinnamon sugar mixture (430g), leaving an undusted strip on the near edge.
- Sprinkle raisins evenly over cinnamon/sugar* mixture, 600g per 2kg of dough.
- Starting from the far left corner, roll into a tight log, using the egg washed edge to seal the seam.
- Beginning at one end, mark dough in 2 ½” increments.
- Cut into rolls with a chef’s knife and press flat into a well-oiled muffin pan.
- Proof in an enclosed, slightly humid, 75-78˚F environment until they become rounded and soft, about 1 to 1½ hours.
- Bake in a 375˚F convection oven until bottoms are golden, 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and immediately roll in cinnamon and sugar.
* To add character, consider accenting with a dash of orange blossom water or brandy. Or add clove, cardamom and nutmeg to the cinnamon sugar mixture.
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.