Happy Birthday Chocolate Cupcakes
Chocolatey cupcakes guaranteed to stay fresh all the way to school.
- Prep Time : 20 min
- Cook Time : 20 min
- Ready Time : 40 min
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup California raisins
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1/2 cup fat-free or low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup softened heart healthy spread*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup heart healthy spread*, softened
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons fat-free half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F and line 12 muffin cups with cupcake papers. Set aside.
Measure dry ingredients into mixing bowl; stir well and set aside. Combine raisins and hot water in food processor or blender and process until puréed. Add sour cream, spread and extract; pulse to combine. Then, stir in sugar followed by egg whites and process on high until light. Add to dry ingredients and mix well. Spoon into lined cups and bake at 350°F for 18 to 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool.
For frosting, beat together 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar with remaining ingredients until smooth; spread top of each cupcake with thin layer. Stir remaining 1/2 cup powdered sugar together with a few drops of half-and-half until thick and smooth. Drizzle swirls on top of each cupcake and add candles, if desired.
Note: Such as Earth Balance® or Smart Balance®
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 280 (24% from fat); Total Fat 8g (sat 2.5g, mono 3g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 5mg; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 50g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 37g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 300mg; Calcium 33mg; Potassium 232mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.