Cauliflower with Tribal Salt and California Raisins
Oriental-style seasoning salt compliments lightly fried cauliflower and raisins perfectly.
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground white pepper
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 head cauliflower
- 3 quarts vegetable oil; for frying
- 2 cups (about 8 ounces) cornstarch
- 1/4 cup California golden raisins
- 1/4 cup California natural raisins
- 3 rings cut from red Fresno chile
- 16 curry leaves
- Tribal Salt, to taste
In large bowl, stir curry powder, turmeric, cumin and white pepper together with 1 cup oil to mix well. Divide cauliflower into individual florets; add to bowl and toss to coat well. Let stand for at least 2 hours.
Heat oil for frying to 350°F. Drain cauliflower florets and dredge in cornstarch along with raisins and chile rings. Arrange in basket and fry at 350°F until golden brown, adding curry leaves just before done. Drain well and season to taste with Tribal Salt.
1. For 1/2 cup Tribal Salt, combine 1/2 cup kosher salt with 1/2 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorns, toasted and crushed, and 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder. Will keep in cool, dry place for up to a month.
2. Nutrition per serving does not include oil for frying.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 430 (58% from fat); Total Fat 28g (sat 2g, mono 16g, poly 8g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 43g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 8g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 30mg; Calcium 34mg; Potassium 340mg
Comments are closed.