- Olive oil-flavored cooking spray; as needed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground allspice
- 11/4 Pounds lean ground turkey
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup California golden raisins
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 small dinner rolls, cut in half crosswise
- 8 fresh, ripe tomato slices
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Spray large skillet generously with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until slightly soft, about 2 minutes. Add bay leaves, cumin, chili powder and allspice; stir together for 1 to 2 minutes. Add turkey and cook, stirring to break up meat, until done (165°F). Stir in tomato paste and cook until warmed through. Add water and raisins; cook covered over medium heat until thickened. Uncover and cook, stirring, until desired consistency. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
Warm rolls in oven. Divide and spoon turkey mixture among bottom halves of rolls. Top each with a tomato slice and replace tops of rolls. Serve.