California Veggie Burgers
Submitted by: Jennifer Disler
A tasty veggie burger that'll pass the kid test!
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- 7 1/2 cups cooked and cooled, quinoa
- 3 1/2 pounds canned, low sodium black (turtle) beans*, drained*
- 3 1/2 cups California raisins* - chopped fine
- 2 1/3 cups prepared sloppy joe sauce, canned
- 3 1/2 cups diced sweet red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 1/2 cups whole grain bread crumbs
- 7 eggs
- 50 small whole wheat rolls
- Optional garnishes, cheese, lettuce, tomato
- * on USDA Foods Available List for Schools
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, mash black beans until thick and pasty. Add raisins, peppers, sloppy joe sauce and combine. In separate bowl, whisk eggs with chili powder and salt, add to bean mixture and combine thoroughly. Fold quinoa and bread crumbs into bean mixture until sticky and holds together.
Spray sheet pan with oil or pan release and place pattied 1/3 cup portions of bean mixture, about 1/2″ apart. Bake for 10 minutes, flip patties and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve warm on rolls or buns with optional garnishes.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 170 (11% from fat); Total Fat 2g (sat 0g, mono 0g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 17mg; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 36g; (Dietary Fiber 6g; Sugars 4g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 348mg; Calcium 62mg; Potassium 194mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.