- 71/2 Cups cooked and cooled, quinoa
- 31/2 Pounds canned, low sodium black (turtle) beans*, drained*
- 31/2 Cups California raisins* - chopped fine
- 21/3 Cups prepared sloppy joe sauce, canned
- 31/2 Cups diced sweet red bell peppers
- 1/2 Cup chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 31/2 Cups whole grain bread crumbs
- 7 eggs
- 50 small whole wheat rolls
- Optional garnishes, cheese, lettuce, tomato
- * on USDA Foods Available List for Schools
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, mash black beans until thick and pasty. Add raisins, peppers, sloppy joe sauce and combine. In separate bowl, whisk eggs with chili powder and salt, add to bean mixture and combine thoroughly. Fold quinoa and bread crumbs into bean mixture until sticky and holds together.
Spray sheet pan with oil or pan release and place pattied 1/3 cup portions of bean mixture, about 1/2″ apart. Bake for 10 minutes, flip patties and bake for another 10 minutes. Serve warm on rolls or buns with optional garnishes.