California Golden Raisin Caponata
Serve as a salad, side dish or relish.
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- 2 cups California golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 Roma tomato; peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons shredded basil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper; to taste
For best results, prepare at least one day before serving. Preheat oven to 375°F. Measure raisins and red wine into nonreactive saucepan; heat to simmer and cook for 3 minutes until raisins are plump. Cool. Arrange eggplant and onion in shallow roasting pan. Brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; to taste. Roast at 375°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
In mixing bowl, combine capers, tomato and olives with raisin mixture; mix well. Cut eggplant and red onion into 1/4-inch dice and add to bowl along with balsamic vinegar, basil and parsley. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Store in refrigerator, covered, overnight to allow flavors to meld.
Note: Fpr serving suggestion, see recipe for Roast Tenderloin of Beef with Fennel-Raisin Gnocchi, Wilted Watercress and California Raisin Caponata with Syrah Butter.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 150 (28% from fat); Total Fat 5g (sat 0.5g, mono 4g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 27g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 20g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 45mg; Calcium 49mg; Potassium 340mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.