- 2 Cups California golden raisins
- 1/4 Cup dry red wine
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 small red onion, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon capers, drained
- 1 Roma tomato; peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 Cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 1 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons shredded basil
- 2 Tablespoons finely chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper; to taste
For best results, prepare at least one day before serving. Preheat oven to 375°F. Measure raisins and red wine into nonreactive saucepan; heat to simmer and cook for 3 minutes until raisins are plump. Cool. Arrange eggplant and onion in shallow roasting pan. Brush with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper; to taste. Roast at 375°F for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
In mixing bowl, combine capers, tomato and olives with raisin mixture; mix well. Cut eggplant and red onion into 1/4-inch dice and add to bowl along with balsamic vinegar, basil and parsley. Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Store in refrigerator, covered, overnight to allow flavors to meld.
Note: Fpr serving suggestion, see recipe for Roast Tenderloin of Beef with Fennel-Raisin Gnocchi, Wilted Watercress and California Raisin Caponata with Syrah Butter.