- 1/2 Cup chopped dried apricots
- 2 Cups California golden raisins
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 Cup brown sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground star anise
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground Szechwan peppercorns
- 1/2 Cup diced onions
- 11/2 Cups rice vinegar
- 1 Cup mirin
- 1 Teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vietnamese chile paste
Combine all ingredients in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, cook over medium-low heat until almost no liquid remains. Cool mixture slightly and then purée in a food processor.
Note: For serving suggstion, see recipe for Roasted Duckling Foie Gras Wonton, Wong Bok and Shiitake Stew, Orange-Soy Glaze and Homemade California Golden Raisin-Apricot Chutney.