- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 + 2 tablespoons whole-wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart reconstituted nonfat dry milk
- 1 1/2 cups molasses
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups California raisins, plumped
- 1/4 cup reconstituted frozen lemon juice concentrate or vinegar
1. Blend flour, whole-wheat flour, cornmeal, baking soda and salt for 1 minute in mixer on low speed. Set aside.
2. In medium bowl, combine milk and lemon juice or vinegar. Let stand 5 minutes.
3. Stir molasses and vegetable oil into milk mixture. Blend well.
4. Add liquid mixture and raisins to dry ingredients. Blend for 3 minutes on low speed. DO NOT OVERMIX. Batter will be lumpy.
5. Pour batter into a lightly oiled steamtable pan (12 x 20 x 2 1/2-inch).
6. Bake or steam until knife inserted in center comes out clean in Conventional oven – 375°F or Convection oven – 325°F or Steamer at 5 pounds pressure for 55 to 65 minutes.
7. Cool. Cut 5 X 10 into 50 pieces.
Notes: For Loaf Pans: Pour 1 pound 8 ounces (1 quart) batter into each of 3 lightly oiled loaf pans (4 x 10 x 4-inch). To bake: Conventional oven – 375°F for 60 minutes; Convection oven – 325°F for 45 minutes; Steamer – 5 pounds pressure for 1 hour 10 minutes. Bake or steam until a knife inserted near center comes out clean. Remove from pans. Cool completely. Cut each loaf into 17 slices about 1/2-inch thick.
To plump raisins, cover the fruit with very hot tap water. Soak 2 to 5 minutes. DO NOT OVERSOAK. Drain well before using.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 100 (6% from fat); Total Fat 0.5g (sat 0g, mono 0g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 22g; (Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 10g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 140mg; Calcium 48mg; Potassium 237mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.