- 4 Roma or salad tomatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 white onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 Cup rice
- 3/4 Cup California raisins
- 1 ripe banana, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 11/2 Teaspoons salt
- 11/2 Cups chicken broth
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro
Combine whole tomatoes, chopped onions and garlic in a small ovenproof pan. Place under a hot broiler and broil until tomatoes are lightly charred, about 20 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process briefly until coarsely chopped.
In saucepot with lid, heat butter over medium high heat. Add rice and sauté until lightly toasted, about 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in raisins and banana slices; sauté for about 1 minute more. Mix in tomato mixture, salt and chicken broth until well combined. Heat to a near boil; reduce heat to a bare simmer and cook, covered, for about 15 minutes or until rice is done. Remove from heat and stir in jalapeño and chopped cilantro. Serve hot.