- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced small
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and diced small
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 Tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 Teaspoons chili-garlic paste
- 3 Cups California golden raisins, plumped
In a heavy-bottomed sautépan, heat 2 tablspoons oil until it starts to smoke. Without overcrowding pan, add eggplant and cook until it is caramelized; set aside.
In a heavy rondeau or frypan, sauté onion and celery in 1 tablespoon olive oil until softened; add tomato paste and sauté 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until mixture is a thick, relish-like consistency. Set relish aside and keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
Note: For serving suggestion, see recipe for Spice-rubbed Colorado Lamb Sirloin with Contadina-style Potatoes and Spicy Eggplant and Golden Raisin Relish.