For sauce, sweat shallots and garlic in large saucepan. Add fennel, coriander, star anise, cloves, allspice and cumin; toast until aromatic. Deglaze with orange juice and chicken stock. Stir in saffron, raisins and lemon zest. Heat and simmer until reduced by one-third. Strain through fine strainer; set aside.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Heat oil in large heavy skillet and sear chicken breasts on both sides; season with salt and pepper to taste. Arrange in baking pan and bake at 350°F for 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, combine raisins with hot water to cover and set aside to soak for 10 minutes. Heat 1 1/2 cups water to boiling; add couscous and cover. Let stand for 5 minutes; then fluff with fork. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon; mix together. Fry diced apples in butter for 3 minutes until lightly browned. Drain raisins; mix into couscous along with apples.
To serve, divide and mound couscous in center of 12 individual servings plates. Arrange chicken breasts on top. Reheat sauce and add mint, basil and chervil; spoon over chicken. Garnish with dollop of whipped cream and serve.
Moroccan Tangine Sauce
- 3 shallots, sliced
- 1/4 Cup minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 11/2 Tablespoons coriander seed
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 whole allspice
- 1 Tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 Cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 Cup roasted chicken stock
- Pinch of saffron
- 3/4 Cup California golden raisins
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh chervil leaves
Chicken and Couscous
- Oil; for frying
- 12 skinless chicken breasts (3 ounces each)
- Salt and pepper
- 11/2 Cups California raisins
- Hot water
- 11/2 Cups medium-grind couscous
- 1/2 Cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 3 fresh ripe apples, cored and diced
- 11/2 Teaspoons butter
- Whipped cream; for garnish