Preheat oven to 450°F. Place duck on a rack in a small roasting pan. Combine olive oil, honey and Tabasco® sauce. Rub half of the mixture on the duck and season with salt and pepper.
Roast duck at 450°F for 10 minutes; lower oven temperature to 350°F and continue cooking for 25 minutes. Brush duck with remainder of rub mixture to retain golden brown color. Cook for 5 minutes more; remove from oven. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
In medium saucepan, combine all ingredients except butter and salt; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour mixture into blender and purée until smooth. Strain the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer into a clean saucepan; whisk in softened butter and salt. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Debone and portion the duck. Arrange pieces on a warm serving platter. Serve family-style with chile sauce to spoon over. Accompany with your favorite side dish.
- 1 whole roasting duck (about 5 pounds)
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon honey
- 1 Tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Guajillo Chile Sauce
- 1 Pound red Roma tomatoes (about 5 medium), 1/2-inch dice
- 2/3 Cup yellow onion, 1/4-inch dice
- 7 large cloves garlic
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 Teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 3 Cups chicken or duck stock
- 1/4 Ounce dried guajillo or cascabel chile (about 3 whole chiles)
- 1 Cup cilantro leaves
- 1 Cup California raisins
- 2 Teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 Teaspoon kosher salt