Stud orange peel with cloves; set aside. In small bowl, combine raisins, almonds, sugar cubes, cinnamon sticks and cardamom. Toss gently to coat raisins with cardamom. Add orange peel. In 3-quart non-reactive saucepan combine raisin mixture with wine. Bring to simmering over low heat; simmer 5 minutes. Add aquavit; simmer 2 minutes. Ladle into heatproof punch cups or mugs, including some of the raisins and almonds in each serving. Serve with spoons.
To give glogg mix as a gift: Place studded orange peel in spiral form on rack in oven at 250°F. Bake until dry, about 45 minutes. Cool; add to raisin-spice mixture. Seal in plastic bag; tie with ribbon. Include instructions for making glogg. Give with a bottle of wine, if desired.
- Peel from 1/2 large orange peel, cut in a spiral strip
- 1 Teaspoon whole cloves
- 3/4 Cup California raisins
- 1/3 Cup whole blanched almonds
- 12 small sugar cubes or 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks, halved
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 bottle (750 milliliters) dry red wine
- 3/4 Cup aquavit or vodka