Heat a medium saucepan and then add butter, garlic and chopped onions; cook until onions are translucent. Add spinach and cook for 3 minutes or until wilted. Remove pan from heat and transfer mixture to a bowl. Mix eggs, cheese and raisins into spinach mixture. Add salt and white pepper.
Chicken Breast Rolls
Place chicken breasts on work surface. Slice each breast in half lengthwise, opening it like a book, so that 2 thinner breasts are created. Pound to flatten evenly. Equally divide and place spinach-raisin filling on each breast. Roll into a tube shape and secure with a toothpick.
Heat oil in large frypan. Sauté the chicken breast rolls for 2 minutes on both sides. Add onions and cook until golden. Add tomatoes, water and basil; season to taste. Simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
Slice chicken breast rolls and arrange on a platter along with sauce. Serve with steamed rice or mashed potatoes.
- 11/2 sticks butter (6 ounces)
- 4 small cloves garlic, chopped (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 Cup white onions, chopped
- 2 Pounds raw spinach, chopped
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 11/2 Cups California golden raisins, plumped in warm water
- 4 Teaspoons salt
- 2 Teaspoons finely ground white pepper
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 3 ounces each)
- 8 toothpicks
- 1/2 Cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 Cup white onion, chopped
- 2 Cups diced tomatoes
- 2 Cups water
- 1/3 Cup chopped fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dry basil