Walnut-Raisin English Muffin
Submitted by: Craig Ponsford - Ponsford's Place - San Rafael, CA
- Ready Time :
- 12 hours before final mixing, mix the sponge ingredients until a cohesive dough is formed. Move to a covered container and let rise for 12 hours at 75˚F.
- Also 12 hours in advance, macerate raisins in water*, just to cover. Drain well prior to mixing (ideal macerated weight is reflected in the formula).
- Break biga into small pieces and mix with flour, powdered milk, salt, yeast,water and applesauce in a spiral mixer for 3 minutes.
- Flake in butter and mix for 3 minutes on 2nd speed.
- Add drained raisins and walnut pieces. Mix on Speed 1 to disperse evenly (desired dough temp 75°F).
Shaping and proofing
- Let dough ferment for two hours in a covered container, folding twice with thoroughly wet hands (the dough is very loose), at 40-minute intervals.
- Using a generous dusting of flour, turn dough out onto bench and divide into 100 g pieces, premold into rounds.
- Arrange on a well-floured wooden board leaving plenty of room for spread.
- Proof for 1 hour.
- Heat a griddle on low and grill to a toasted brown on each side. May be finished in a 350°F oven if needed.
* To add character, consider accenting with a dash of nocello, amaretto or vin santo.
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.