Walnut-Raisin English Muffin
Submitted by: Craig Ponsford – Ponsford’s Place – San Rafael, CA
|Biga||Final Dough||Total Formula|
|Metric/kg||Bakers %||Metric/kg||Metric/kg||Bakers %|
|Hard White Bakers Flour||0.3721||100.00||1.116||1.488||100.00|
|Natural Raisins (Macerated)||0.595|
- 12 hours before final mixing, mix the sponge ingredients until a cohesive dough is formed. Move to a covered container and let rise for 12 hours at 75˚F.
- Also 12 hours in advance, macerate raisins in water*, just to cover. Drain well prior to mixing (ideal macerated weight is reflected in the formula).
- Break biga into small pieces and mix with flour, powdered milk, salt, yeast,water and applesauce in a spiral mixer for 3 minutes.
- Flake in butter and mix for 3 minutes on 2nd speed.
- Add drained raisins and walnut pieces. Mix on Speed 1 to disperse evenly (desired dough temp 75°F).
Shaping and proofing
- Let dough ferment for two hours in a covered container, folding twice with thoroughly wet hands (the dough is very loose), at 40-minute intervals.
- Using a generous dusting of flour, turn dough out onto bench and divide into 100 g pieces, premold into rounds.
- Arrange on a well-floured wooden board leaving plenty of room for spread.
- Proof for 1 hour.
- Heat a griddle on low and grill to a toasted brown on each side. May be finished in a 350°F oven if needed.
* To add character, consider accenting with a dash of nocello, amaretto or vin santo.