Thai Glass Noodle Salad
Submitted by: Roy Harland
This salad has it all. Silky transparent noodles and chewy raisins, just to titilate the senses.
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce (nuoc mam)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon Thai chile paste with soy bean and garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Thai red curry paste
- 3 ounce bean thread noodles
- 3 cups mesclun greens or chopped romaine
- 12 ounce cooked, boneless chicken breast or thigh meat, finely chopped
- 6 ounce cooked prawns (31/40), peeled and deveined, tail on
- 6 tablespoons California natural raisins, plumped
- 6 tablespoons California golden raisins, plumped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 small hot red chile, very thinly sliced (optional)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1 medium green onion, thinly sliced on the bias
- 2 teaspoons chopped toasted peanuts; for garnish
- Cilantro and mint sprigs; for garnish
In a small mixing bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients until well combined and sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
Soak noodles in warm water for 15 minutes; drain. Cook in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and chill under running water. Drain again and cut cooked noodles, using a couple of crisscross cuts with a sharp knife (otherwise noodles will be too long and difficult to eat), and toss them with dressing to coat well.
In a large salad bowl, toss the greens in enough dressing to coat. Divide them among 6 chilled salad plates or bowls. Place noodles in a mound in the center of the greens. In the same bowl, toss the chicken, prawns, raisins, mint, cilantro, chile pepper, cucumbers and green onions with desired amount of the dressing. Mound this mixture on top of the noodles and garnish with chopped peanuts and a few cilantro and mint sprigs.
Note: Ingredients not available at the supermarket may be found at Asian food markets
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 310 (19% from fat); Total Fat 7g (sat 1.5g, mono 3g, poly 1.5g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 105mg; Protein 25g; Carbohydrate 37g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 20g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 580mg; Calcium 64mg; Potassium 575mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.