Halloween Boo Bats
Catch one flying by and you can eat it!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut in small pieces
- 1 cup California raisins, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coarse-grain sparkling white sugar
- California raisins and mini candies*, for decorations
- 3 ounce semi-sweet chocolate
Measure flour, sugar and baking powder into bowl for food processor with steel blade, and pulse a couple of times to combine. (If mixing by hand, see note.) Then, add cold butter and pulse until crumbly. Finally, add vanilla and ice water, a little at a time, and pulse until dough comes together and cleans sides of bowl. Knead in chopped raisins. Divide dough into 2 equal pieces, wrap in plastic wrap or wax paper, and chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment; set aside.
One piece at a time, place dough on lightly floured work surface, and roll into 10×12-inch rectangle about 3/8-inch thick. With bat-shaped cookie cutter, cut into 16 cookies. Arrange on cookie sheet close together. Beat egg with pinch of salt and brush lightly onto cookies and sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes until golden. Remove to wire.
When cookies have cooled, melt semisweet chocolate and use a small amount to attach raisins for ears and candies as eyes. Cool completely and store in airtight container.
1. Look for mini M&Ms.
2. To mix by hand, measure flour, sugar and baking powder into mixing bowl, and whisk together well. Add butter, several cubes at a time, and work it into dry ingredients with your fingers or fork until crumbly. Add vanilla and ice water, a little at a time, and toss until flour is moistened and holds together.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 150 (41% from fat); Total Fat 7g (sat 4g, mono 2g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 25mg; Protein 2g; Carbohydrate 20g; (Dietary Fiber <1g; Sugars 11g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 35mg; Calcium 28mg; Potassium 124mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.