Spicy Eggplant and Golden Raisin Relish
Adds interest and excitement to red meats.
- Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 eggplant, peeled and diced
- 1 small white onion, peeled and diced small
- 2 stalks celery, peeled and diced small
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 roasted tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chili-garlic paste
- 3 cups California golden raisins, plumped
In a heavy-bottomed sautépan, heat 2 tablspoons oil until it starts to smoke. Without overcrowding pan, add eggplant and cook until it is caramelized; set aside.
In a heavy rondeau or frypan, sauté onion and celery in 1 tablespoon olive oil until softened; add tomato paste and sauté 1 minute more. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until mixture is a thick, relish-like consistency. Set relish aside and keep at room temperature until ready to serve.
Note: For serving suggestion, see recipe for Spice-rubbed Colorado Lamb Sirloin with Contadina-style Potatoes and Spicy Eggplant and Golden Raisin Relish.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 70 (18% from fat); Total Fat 1.5g (sat 0g, mono 2g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 15g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 12g; ); Iron <1mg; Sodium 75mg; Calcium 12mg; Potassium 214mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.