- 8 slices smoked goose liver pate
- 1 Teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 Cup California raisins, soaked in dry white wine for 15 minutes
- 2 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1/4 Cup veal stock
- 6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 Slices Bayonne ham, cut in small, thin slices
- 4 each frisée lettuce
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ezpeleta pepper or high quality paprika
Sprinkle both sides of foie gras with black pepper; set aside. Over high heat, heat large sautépan very hot. Add foie gras and sear for about 30 seconds on each side; transfer to paper towels. Keep warm. Discard pan juices. Return pan to high heat. Drain and reserve wine from raisins. Add California raisins to pan; sauté then deglaze with wine and sherry vinegar; reduce by half. Add veal stock; return to boil; reduce by half. Turn heat off; swirl in butter. Season to taste. Keep warm.
To serve, place 2 slices of foie gras on each plate. Top with Bayonne ham, frisée, California raisins and sauce. Cover with second slice of foie gras to form sandwich. Sprinkle with Ezpeleta pepper.