- 3 Packages (10 ounces each) tofu
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 Cup lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 3/4 Cup fresh gingerroot, cut in matchstick-size pieces (julienne)
- Zest from 3 kaffir limes
- 1 Bunch celery
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 Cup sun-dried tomatoes
- 11/2 Cups tempura flour
- 3 egg whites
- Ice cold water
- 12 celery leaves
- 1 Cup peanut oil
- 31/2 Cups cilantro leaves
- 1 Cup California golden raisins
- Salt; to taste
Cut tofu into bite-size cubes; set aside.
Blend olive oil, lemon juice and garlic. Add ginger, kaffir limes and season to taste.
Peel the celery sticks; cut in julienne 2 inches long. Peel apple; cut in julienne; sprinkle with lemon juice. Dice sun-dried tomatoes; set aside.
Blend the flour with the egg whites and ice water till you reach a smooth consistency. Season to taste. Dip tofu and celery leaves in tempura batter. Fry in 350°F peanut oil till golden. Drain.
Mix the julienne of celery, apple and raisins; add the dressing and mix well. Put on the center of the plate; top with 3 pieces tofu and 2 pieces celery fritters. Sprinkle with cilantro leaves and diced tomatoes.