Rich Chocolate Brownies with Raisin-Chocolate Sauce
Submitted by: Robert Del Grande
Rich, decadent chocolate joins raisins in this dessert.
Rich Chocolate Brownies
- 2 1/2 cups (1 1/4 pounds) butter, melted
- 7 1/2 cups (2 1/2 pounds) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coffee extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 9 large whole eggs (1 pound, 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 1/4 cups (4 ounces) very high quality cocoa powder*
- 4 cups (1 pound) gluten-free all-purpose flour
Raisin-Chocolate Sauce (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup (2 ounces) California raisins, puréed
- 4 large (1 ounce) marshmallows, cut into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons (1 ounce) coarsely chopped, roasted almonds
- 4 ounce semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (1 ounce) butter
- 16 marshmallows; for garnish
- Whole California raisins and chopped almonds; for garnish
- Powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 325°F. Oil two 9×13-inch baking pans; set aside.
Combine butter and sugar in bowl of mixer with a paddle. Add salt, vanilla, coffee extract and cinnamon; blend on low speed until very smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, and mix until smooth. Sift cocoa and flour together. Add to mixture and stir until blended, about 1 minute. (Do not over mix.) Divide and spread batter evenly in prepared pans. Bake at 325°F for about 25 minutes. (Best when slightly under cooked.) Cut each pan into 16 pieces. Cool.
Combine milk, cream, raisin purée and marshmallows in saucepan. Slowly heat and stir to melt marshmallows completely. Add almonds, chocolate and butter; stir constantly until chocolate is melted and sauce is smooth. Chill.
Cut marshmallows for garnish in half. Arrange on sheet pan and broil just until beginning to caramelize. Cool. Arrange brownies on 32 individual serving plates. Divide and spoon Raisin-Chocolate Sauce over. Top each with a broiled marshmallow half and sprinkle with raisins and almonds. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Chef’s Note: Valrhona (brand) cocoa powder preferred.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 410 (46% from fat); Total Fat 22g (sat 13g, mono 7g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 110mg; Protein 5g; Carbohydrate 53g; (Dietary Fiber 0g; Sugars 42g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 210mg; Calcium 37mg; Potassium 130mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.