Pumpkin Raisin Ginger Scones
By Stefani Sandow, Second Place Celebrating Scones with Chicago Pastry
Crystalized ginger and sweet California raisins add pep to these pumpkin scones!
- Serving Size: 1 scone
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut in small chunks
- 1 cup California raisins*, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped crystalized ginger
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin*
- 1 tablespoon coarse brown sugar
Preheat oven to 425°F. Measure flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt and spices into large mixing bowl, and mix together well. With pastry blender, fork or two knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse meal and just a few pea-sized pieces remain. Stir in chopped raisins and crystallized ginger; make well in center. In small bowl, whisk together half-and-half, vanilla, egg and pumpkin; add to dry ingredients and toss together until dough is firm but still a bit sticky to the touch. Knead together lightly and turn onto lightly floured surface; shape into 8×8-inch square. Brush top with water or milk and sprinkle with coarse brown sugar. Cut 3 by 2 to make 6 equal squares, then cut each square diagonally into 2 triangles. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 425°F for 12 to 14 minutes, until lightly browned. Remove to wire rack to cool.
1. For best results, use these ingredients from Whole Foods Markets:
- King Arthur all-purpose flour
- The Spice House ground spices
- Plugrá European-style butter
- Nielsen-Massey vanilla
2. Good with either golden or natural California raisins or mix them together for added interest.
3. Look for puréed pumpkin in small jars in the baby food section.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 220 (28% from fat); Total Fat 7g (sat 4g, mono 2g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 35mg; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 36g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 18g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 270mg; Calcium 52mg; Potassium 190mg
This recipe is found in the following categories:
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.