Pumpkin Pie Surprise
Spicy raisin-pumpkin custard topped with gingersnap streusel.
- Serving Size: 1/10 of pie
- 5 gingersnap cookies
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pastry shell
- 1 cup California raisins, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked or canned pumpkin
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves or allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
In food processor, combine gingersnap cookies, sugar and flour; process until fine crumbs. Add chilled butter; pulse until crumbly. Add chopped pecans and mix well. Set aside.Preheat oven to 350°F. Arrange pastry shell in a 9-inch pan; flute edges and set aside. In a 1-quart saucepan, combine raisins with enough water just to cover. Heat and simmer until water is all absorbed or evaporated and raisins are plump. Spread raisins over bottom of pie.
Measure pumpkin, sour cream, 3/4 cup sugar, egg yolks, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and salt into large heavy saucepan. Whisk together until combined. Continue whisking, constantly, over medium heat until just warm to the touch. Set aside.
In small mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Increase speed to high and beat until peaks are stiff and glossy. Gently fold egg whites into pumpkin mixture. Spoon filling over raisins in pie shell.
Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Sprinkle gingersnap mixture on top and bake another 10 to 20 minutes or until sharp knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and store in refrigerator. Good cold or reheat to serve warm.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 350 (40% from fat); Total Fat 16g (sat 6g, mono 6g, poly 3g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 75mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 50g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 35g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 290mg; Calcium 58mg; Potassium 288mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.