Heat oven to 400°F.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and orange zest. Cut 1/3 cup butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs. Stir in 1 egg, raisins and just enough half-and-half so the dough leaves sides of the bowl. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 10 times. Roll into a 9-inch circle and cut into 12 wedges.
Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining beaten egg. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from baking sheet.
In a small mixer bowl, beat together 1/2 cup butter and marmalade at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Serve orange butter with scones.
From: The Best of Food Digest, a Reader’s Digest Cookbook
- 13/4 Cups all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 21/2 Teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/3 Cup (5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) butter, chilled
- 2 eggs, beaten and divided
- 3/4 Cup California raisins
- 4 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 Cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 Tablespoons orange marmalade