Orange Raisin Scones
Serve with orange butter to continue the citrus theme.
- Serving Size: 1 scone, 2 teaspoons orange butter
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/3 cup (5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon) butter, chilled
- 2 eggs, beaten and divided
- 3/4 cup California raisins
- 4 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
Heat oven to 400°F.
In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and orange zest. Cut 1/3 cup butter into flour mixture until it resembles fine crumbs. Stir in 1 egg, raisins and just enough half-and-half so the dough leaves sides of the bowl. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 10 times. Roll into a 9-inch circle and cut into 12 wedges.
Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Brush with remaining beaten egg. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Immediately remove from baking sheet.
In a small mixer bowl, beat together 1/2 cup butter and marmalade at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Serve orange butter with scones.
From: The Best of Food Digest, a Reader’s Digest Cookbook
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 250 (51% from fat); Total Fat 14g (sat 9g, mono 4g, poly 1g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 70mg; Protein 3g; Carbohydrate 27g; (Dietary Fiber 1g; Sugars 13g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 190mg; Calcium 22mg; Potassium 146mg
This recipe is found in the following categories:
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.