North African Braised Chicken
Aromatic spices bring tantalizing goodness to this feast.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup California raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 cup reduced sodium Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- Hot cooked couscous
Heat oil in large skillet or pot with tight fitting lid. Season chicken with salt and add to skillet; cook over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add onions to skillet; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 10 minutes to soften. Stir in raisins and seasonings. Return chicken to skillet and arrange onions on top. Add broth and wine; cover and simmer over low heat for 1 hour. Uncover and simmer for 15 minutes more to reduce sauce. Serve chicken and sauce over couscous.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 360 (26% from fat); Total Fat 11g (sat 2.5g, mono 5g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 70mg; Protein 27g; Carbohydrate 34g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 30g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 390mg; Calcium 42mg; Potassium 586mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.