Moroccan Spice Blend
Combine and mix well. Set aside.
Wrap spices for Sachet in cheesecloth and tie securely.
Season pork with Moroccan Spice Blend and brown evenly in olive oil. Cook for 2 minutes. Add pork broth and heat to simmer. Stir in pomegranate juice. Add Spice Sachet and return to a simmer. Transfer to ovenproof casserole; cover with foil and bake at 350°F for 2 hours. Remove from oven and drain liquid into large saucepan. Reserve pork, and reduce liquid over medium heat until slightly thickened. Add tomatoes and raisins; heat through and pour over pork. Set aside and keep warm.
Heat olive oil in large pot. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in couscous and broth; cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let steam 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.Heat about 2 tablespoons olive oil in sautépan and sauté diced onions, garlic and gingerroot one at a time. Season generously with 2 tablespoons Moroccan Spice Blend and turn into 6-quart stockpot. Continue to sauté remaining vegetables, one at a time, adding oil as needed, seasoning each with 1/2 tablespoon Moroccan Spice Blend and turning into same stockpot.
When all are sautéed, stir tomato paste and water as needed into stockpot. Heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve piping hot.
Place a generous scoop of couscous on each serving plate. Top with vegetables and piece of pork; ladle sauce over and garnish with cilantro.
Moroccan Spice Blend (makes 3/4 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 Tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 Tablespoons ground fenugreek
- 1 Tablespoon ground hot chile pimenton
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons ground cinnamon
Spice Sachet (makes about 1/4 cup)
- 1 Tablespoon fenugreek
- 1 Tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 Tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1 Tablespoon whole cardamom pods
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 5 Pounds boneless pork shoulder roast, cut into 24 pieces
- 2 Tablespoons Moroccan Spice Blend (above)
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 4 Quarts dark rich pork broth
- 1 container (18 ounces) Pom pomegranate juice
- 1 Pound sun-dried tomatoes, cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 11/2 Cups California natural raisins
- 11/2 Cups California golden raisins
- 1/4 Cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 11/2 Pounds dry couscous (4 cups)
- 2 Quarts chicken broth
- Olive oil; as needed
- Cloves from 1/2 bulb fresh garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh gingerroot, finely grated
- 6 Tablespoons Moroccan Spice Blend (above), divided
- 8 Ounces zucchini, cut in large dice (1-3/4 cups)
- 1 butternut squash, cut in large dice
- 1 Pound red onions, cut in large dice (2-3/4 cups)
- 2 sweet red peppers, cut in large dice
- 1 bulb fresh fennel, cut in large dice
- 1 (24-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 8 Ounces yellow squash, cut in large dice (2 cups)
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 Cup chopped fresh cilantro