- 3 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon good-quality maple syrup
- 2 Teaspoons prepared basil pesto
- 12 to 18 thin asparagus spears, blanched or lightly steamed
- 1 Cup California golden raisins
- 1 can (7-3/4 ounces) hearts of palm, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 11/3 Pounds salmon steak, divided into 6 pieces
- 6 large red lettuce leaves
- 2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts (pignoli), coarsely chopped
Whisk vinegar, olive oil, maple syrup and pesto together in bottom of a large mixing bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons. Cut asparagus spears into 1-inch pieces and add to bowl with raisins, hearts of palm and basil. Toss to coat and combine. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
To serve, brush salmon with reserved dressing and let stand about 30 minutes. Place one red lettuce leaf on each of 6 individual salad plates. Divide chilled salad and spoon on top. Quickly grill or broil salmon and arrange 1 piece on top of each salad. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
Note: Even better with additional vinaigrette on the side.