Kasha and Inca Red Quinoa Salad with California Raisins
Gluten free and oh so tasty! This may be the best ever hearty salad!
- 1 pound fresh shiitake or baby bella mushrooms, stemmed and quartered
- 6 cups sliced baby carrots, cut 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) canola oil
- Salt and pepper; to taste
- 1-1/2 cup roasted whole buckwheat groats* (Kasha)
- 2-1/3 cup vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup finely minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup Inca Red quinoa
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 3 fresh lemons*
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Chinese chili oil, or to taste
- 3 cups California natural raisins
- 1-1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup California golden raisins, plumped in warm water
- 1 cup pomegranate arils (optional)
- 1/4 cup lemon zest
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 350°F. In small bowl, toss mushrooms and carrots with oil to coat evenly, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Spread on sheet pan and roast at 350°F for 30 minutes. Transfer to large mixing bowl, and cool. Meanwhile, stir groats and stock together in 3-quart saucepan. Heat to simmer; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Set aside, covered, and let stand for 5 minutes. Then, fold in minced gingerroot; fluff with a fork and transfer to bowl with roasted vegetables. Set aside to cool. Rinse quinoa in strainer under cold water until water runs clear. Then, combine quinoa and 1-1/2 cups water in a 1-1/2 quart suacepan. Heat to simmer, cover, reduce heat, and simmer about 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Transfer to bowl with vegetables and groats; fluff together with a fork, and set aside to cool.
Zest and juice lemons; reserve zest for Topping. In small mixing bowl, beat sesame oil with soy sauce, 1/2 cup lemon juice, vinegar and chili oil. Add to bowl with vegetables, kasha and quinoa; then, fold in scallions and natural raisins. Toss together to mix well and season to taste with salt. Let stand to meld flavors.
For buffet service, line a large serving bowl with lettuce leaves and mound salad on top OR line 24 individual serving bowls with lettuce leaves; divide salad and mound a portion onto each. Immediately before serving, combine Topping ingredients and fold together. Sprinkle the topping on salad just prior to serving.
Notes: 1. If roasted kasha is not available, place buckwheat groats in saucepan and stir over medium heat about 2 minutes until grains begin to toast before adding vegetable stock.
2. Meyer lemons are preferred.
3. Goji berries, sometimes called wolfberreis, may be substituted for the pomegranate seeds (arils).
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 220 (26% from fat); Total Fat 7g (sat 0.5g, mono 3g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 4g; Carbohydrate 38g; (Dietary Fiber 4g; Sugars 21g; ); Iron 3mg; Sodium 300mg; Calcium 38mg; Potassium 424mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.