Jumbo Shrimp with Pernod-plumped California Raisins and Fennel
Anise-flavored raisins and fennel stack up with orange juice and sautéed spinach.
- 2 tablespoons California golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons California natural raisins
- 4 fluid ounce (1/2 cup) Pernod aperitif
- 6 jumbo shrimp
- 2 fluid ounce (1/4 cup) vegetable oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon diced shallot
- 1 small bulb fennel, julienne or cut in wedges
- 4 fluid ounce (1/2 cup) fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon diced red peppers
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
Combine raisins and Pernod in a small bowl and set aside. Clean and devein shrimp. Heat sautépan to very hot and add one half of the oil. Quickly, sauté shrimp with shallot. Add fennel and sauté till translucent. Deglaze pan with Pernod and raisins. Add orange juice and reduce by half. Stir in red pepper and swirl in butter. Set aside.
In another pan, heat oil and quickly sauté spinach; drain. Mound in center of plate and arrange shrimp on top. Spoon pan sauce with plumped raisins and fennel over all. Garnish with chopped red pepper or fennel fronds.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 650 (46% from fat); Total Fat 34g (sat 6g, mono 18g, poly 8g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 50mg; Protein 6g; Carbohydrate 58g; (Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 45g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 170mg; Calcium 82mg; Potassium 827mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.