Golden Raisin-Granny Smith Apple Chow Chow
A sweet spicy apple-raisin condiment for pork, ham and other meats.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 piece fresh gingerroot (about 3 inches), peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples (at least 6), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 1/2 cups California golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
In saucepan, dissolve sugar in vinegar; heat and simmer 10 minutes. Measure garlic, gingerroot, salt and pepper flakes into food processor and blend well. Add to sugar-vinegar mixture along with apples, raisins and mustard seeds. Continue to simmer and stir about 45 minutes or until apples are soft and mixture thickens. Store in refrigerator.
Note: Makes a great condiment for pork, ham and other meats.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 170 (3% from fat); Total Fat 0g (sat 0g, mono 0g, poly 0g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 0mg; Protein 1g; Carbohydrate 43g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 37g; ); Iron 1mg; Sodium 530mg; Calcium 23mg; Potassium 206mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.