Preheat oven to 400°F. Stir flour and salt together in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into small pieces; add to bowl and cut into flour mixture with pastry blender or fork. In small custard cup, mix egg, vinegar and 2 tablespoons ice water. Sprinkle onto flour mixture and toss with fork, adding more water as needed to shape dough into ball. Dust piece of wax paper with flour and place dough in center; top with another piece of floured wax paper and roll out to 3 inches larger than pie pan. Remove wax paper from top and invert dough into 9-inch pie pan. Trim, leaving dough 1/2 inch larger than pan; fold under and flute edges. Roll out trimmings, again, and cut into fall leaves for decoration.
Combine cookie crumbs, brown sugar and ground nuts with butter; mix well.
In medium saucepan, mix cornstarch and lemon juice together until well blended. Add apples, cranberry sauce, sugar, salt and spices. Cook over medium-high heat until thickened. Remove from heat and stir in raisins and lemon zest. Turn into crust and sprinkle with gingersnap streusel. Arrange pastry leaves on top and bake at 400°F for 45 minutes.
Note: Crisco® Butter Flavor All-Vegetable Shortening preferred.
- 11/2 Cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon salt
- 1/2 Cup plus 1 tablespoon shortening*, chilled
- 1/2 egg, beaten
- 1/2 Tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 21/2 Tablespoons ice water, divided
- 1/2 Cup finely ground gingersnap cookies
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 Cup walnuts, toasted and ground
- 2 Tablespoons butter, chilled
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 Cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 Cups peeled and chopped Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 Cup canned jellied cranberry sauce
- 1/2 Cup granulated sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Cup California raisins
- 3/4 Teaspoon lemon zest