Chilled Pork and Wild Rice Salad
Onion, rice, watercress, apricots, walnuts and vinaigrette with savory pork slices.
- 4 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted and coarsely ground
- 4 1/2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped California raisins
- Salt and pepper; to taste
- 2 thick-cut boneless pork chops (5 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup finely minced red onion
- 2 cups cooked wild rice
- 2 cups watercress, stemmed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped
For vinaigrette, measure cumin and vinegar into small bowl and whisk in olive oil. Stir in raisins and season to taste with salt and pepper.Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat canola oil in hot sautépan over high heat and sear pork chops for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until done. Chill for 1 hour. Thinly slice pork; toss with 1/2 cup vinaigrette and season to taste with salt and pepper.Place apricots in orange juice and let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes. For salad, combine onion, rice, watercress, walnuts, apricots and remaining vinaigrette in large bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide and arrange salad in center of each of 4 serving plates and top with pork slices.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 780 (62% from fat); Total Fat 55g (sat 8g, mono 34g, poly 11g, trans <1g ); Cholesterol 40mg; Protein 25g; Carbohydrate 51g; (Dietary Fiber 5g; Sugars 25g; ); Iron 5mg; Sodium 40mg; Calcium 84mg; Potassium 934mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.