- On Day 1, mix water, starter and whole wheat flour together for 3 minutes on medium speed. Let stand at room temperature for 6 hours, and then store in the refrigerator for 14 hours.
- On Day 2, remove mixture from the refrigerator and let stand 4 hours at room temperature. Reserve 24 ounces of mixture and discard remainder. Mix with 24 ounces of water and 24 ounces of whole wheat flour.
- On Day 3, divide into 24-ounce portions. Then, add 24 ounces of water and 24 ounces of whole wheat flour to each portion. Store in refrigerator for 14 hours.
- After 3 days, the starter is ready to use.
* See recipe
Nutrition Facts Per Serving(Calories from Fat %); ( );
Try Another Recipe
California Raisin Rye Starter
There are many more ways to use raisins for healthy cooking. Take a look at our recipe page for more delicious dishes.View All Recipes
Raisins are excellent food choices for most individuals, including those with Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM).
- James W. Anderson, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Clinical Nutrition, Emeritus, University of Kentucky.