- Twenty-four (24) hours before final mixing, mix ingredients for sponge together on low for 10 minutes. (Desired sponge temperature should be 75ºF.) Ferment for 4 hours at 80ºF and 20 hours in refrigerator at 40ºF.
- Mix all ingredients except raisins together for 8 minutes on low speed. (Final dough temperature 75ºF.)
- Remove 8 pounds of dough for wrapping and decoration. Add raisins to remaining dough and mix on low speed for 4 minutes.
- Bulk ferment separately for 2 hours at 95ºF.
- Scale dough with raisins into 24 pieces of 13 1/2 ounces each. Bench rest for 30 minutes. 2
- Scale dough reserved for wrapping into 4-ounce pieces and for decoration into 1- ounce pieces. Bench rest for 30 minutes.
- Shape raisin dough into batards and wrap with plain dough that has been rolled thin.
- Cut dough for decorations into small circles. Divide and arrange several on top of each loaf to resemble a small grape cluster.
- Arrange loaves upside down on rye flour. Set aside to proof for 50 minutes at 90ºF.
- Turn over and bake. Bake at 425ºF with steam for 35 to 40 minutes.
* See recipe
Nutrition Facts Per Serving(Calories from Fat %); ( );
Try Another Recipe
California Raisin Brot
There are many more ways to use raisins for healthy cooking. Take a look at our recipe page for more delicious dishes.View All Recipes
Raisins are excellent food choices for most individuals, including those with Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM).
- James W. Anderson, M.D., Professor of Medicine and Clinical Nutrition, Emeritus, University of Kentucky.