California Raisin-Almond Chicken Curry (Murghi Kismis Salan)
Spicy curry, raisins and almonds add Asian flavors to chicken breasts.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups California raisins, divided
- 2 medium thinly sliced yellow onions, divided
- 1 small coarsely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh gingerroot
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 4 green cardamon pods
- 2 to 3 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 cup water
- Salt; to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
Trim and cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in heavy 3-quart saucepan; set aside. In food processor, place 1 cup California raisins, half the onions, pepper, gingerroot and garlic; purée until smooth. Add to chicken. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter, heavy cream, sour cream, almonds, cardamom, bay leaves and water. Bring to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low. Cover; cook 30 minutes. Add remaining California raisins; cover; cook 15 to 20 minutes more.
In 10-inch skillet, heat remaining butter over medium-high heat; add remaining onions. Stir-fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Combine onions and salt with curry; cook 2 to 4 minutes more to blend flavors. Discard cardamom pods and bay leaves; garnish with cilantro.
Chef’s Note: Curries are sauce-based preparations often served with steamed rice and flatbreads.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 390 (33% from fat); Total Fat 14g (sat 5g, mono 6g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 90mg; Protein 29g; Carbohydrate 36g; (Dietary Fiber 3g; Sugars 31g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 95mg; Calcium 64mg; Potassium 720mg
Comments are closed.