Apple, California Raisin and Curry Soup
Serve this delicious and refreshing soup chilled or piping hot, especially in apple season.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup California golden raisins
- 2 lemons, 1 grated zest and juice, 1 to soak the dessert apple
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 dessert apple, cored, sliced, soaked in lemon juice
- watercress springs or fresh mint leaves, several
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion until translucent, but do not brown. Stir in the curry powder and cornstarch and cook for two minutes. Stir in the apples, add the stock, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, stirring until thickened. Add golden raisins, lemon zest, lemon juice and seasonings. Simmer for 20 minutes. Cool slightly; using a food processor blend until smooth and transfer to saucepan. In a small bowl blend the egg yolks with the heavy cream, then stir the cream/egg mixture into the apple mixture. Serve the soup hot, gently heated so that it does not come to a boil or chill in the refrigerator and serve cold. Garnish with the dessert apple and the watercress sprigs or mint leaves.
This recipe is found in the following categories:
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.