Warm Salmon Soba Salad with Currant Dressing
Submitted by: Roy Harland
Bursting with color, texture and opposing elements, great salad bejeweled with tiny Zante currants.
- 1 teaspoon wasabi paste or 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Japanese seasoned rice vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon pickled ginger, minced
- 1 cup California Zante currants
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 1/2 ounce thin dried soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- 8 skinless salmon fillets (3 ounces each)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced English cucumber
- 1 medium green onion, sliced diagonally
- 1 ounce piece of daikon radish, peeled and cut in matchstick-size pieces
- Segments of 1 large orange
Combine dressing ingredients in small bowl; whisk together. Set aside. (Can be prepared a day or two ahead; kept tightly covered and stored in refrigerator until needed.)
Bring 4 cups of lightly salted water to a boil and cook the noodles for 3 to 4 minutes or until just tender. Cool noodles under cold running water. Toss with some of the vegetable oil and refrigerate, covered tightly, until needed.
Season salmon with salt and pepper. Heat remaining oil in large sautépan over medium-high heat. Sauté salmon fillets for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until desired doneness. Keep warm.
Divide and arrange a base of the greens on 8 salad plates. In mixing bowl, toss noodles, cucumbers, green onions, daikon and orange segments with half the dressing; divide and mound in center of greens. Top each salad with a warm salmon fillet and drizzle remaining dressing over fish and around the salads.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Calories 270 (28% from fat); Total Fat 8g (sat 1g, mono 5g, poly 2g, trans 0g ); Cholesterol 45mg; Protein 21g; Carbohydrate 29g; (Dietary Fiber 2g; Sugars 16g; ); Iron 2mg; Sodium 230mg; Calcium 46mg; Potassium 548mg
Comment on the Recipe
Comments may be moderated. If you don't see your comment, please be patient. It may be posted soon. Do not post your comment a second time. Thank you.